Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Orphanage Visit

Today was a free day for our group.  I chose to make a trip 1.5 hours away to visit Zoe's orphanage.  Our guide helped us rent a mini van and came with us to translate.  It was important to me to be able to see where Zoe lived the first 17 months of her life and meet her caretakers.  One day if Zoe is ever curious, I will be able to tell her I went and be able to describe it for her.  I was the only Mom in our group that did this (which I found a bit surprising).  And as emotional & overwhelming it was for me to be there... I am glad I did it!




Director Tang
I want to say how impressed I was with Director Tang.  She was so happy that we chose to come visit the orphanage and also so Zoe's caretakers could see Zoe with her forever family.  She kept having our guide tell us "thank you" and I got a real sense that this woman really & truly cares about ALL the kids under her supervisory care.





Meeting Chen Fang in person was like medicine for my soul.  I was so thankful that she was at work today.  This is the main woman who has cared for our precious daughter halfway across the world until we could hold her.  When Zoe went straight to her, it made me cry (tears of happiness).  I was so happy that our Zoe knew & wanted this person to hold her.  Interestingly enough, Zoe only let Chen Fang hold her for 5 minutes before Zoe started scanning the room looking for me... and when Zoe saw me, she started crying and putting her arms out for me.  OK... then I was REALLY crying.  Because I realized even now that Zoe is forming a bond with me (after only one week)... But I felt bad for Chen Fang too because I could tell she was a little hurt or maybe confused as to why Zoe didn't want her to keep holding her.  After all, Chen Fang had cared for her for a long time... 



Being in Zoe's room... was very emotional for me.  Seeing how she lived and seeing the numerous children that were being left behind (I stopped counting when I reached 50).  I could not stop the tears from rolling out of my eyes.  Thank God she is with us now.

Director Tang gave us a wonderful tour and answered all of our questions.  She stood outside and waved goodbye to us and didn't walk away until we were out of sight.

 
What a day!  So, so thankful to God for this precious gift of life that He has entrusted to us to care for, love, & protect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.