Sunday, January 6, 2013

Three Kings Day!

A NEW holiday & tradition for our family... 

January 6th is "Three Kings Day" here in Puerto Rico!  It is a date celebrated throughout Latin America, Spain, and in Hispanic communities.  It marks the 12th day after Christmas, when the three wise men arrived bearing gifts for baby Jesus. Traditionally, children receive gifts on THIS day that were brought by the three kings riding on their camels during the night.  Christmas is basically only the prelude to the season...

So, the evening before, children gather grass and place in a box (for the camels to eat) and in return the three kings leave gifts.  I shared this story with the kids & they got super excited!  
 
 Here they are collecting grass for the camels.  There were dozens of other children doing the same thing in the park & it gave me pride to see my children sharing in a new culture.  
I also got a "thumbs up" from one of the mothers too!



"Mommy, we got grass for the camels to eat but I think the kings need a present too.  I think kings like flowers so I picked 3 flowers for the 3 kings.  If they bring me a gift, I want to give them one too."
  

 Here is wrapping paper for "Three Kings Day"  - I was so excited to find it!
I mean... how can our family not celebrate a holiday with our name associated with it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.