Saturday, November 3, 2012

Horns Mandatory, Turn Signals Optional


The drivers down here crack me up!  They are much more aggressive than I am used to.  Here are some examples...  

Horns:  These are mandatory in your vehicle!  Once one horn starts, all the others follow… and it doesn’t do a THING!  But I laugh out loud.  It is SO funny to me!  And yes... I have been "honked" at plenty of times and I still laugh about it. 

Courtesy Waves: No one waves or lets you in as a courtesy like they do back in the states.  It is literally every man for himself.  Throw your car out there and "hope" for the best.  Don't worry... everyone seems to move just in the niche of time.    

Highway Driving:  Need an additional lane to drive in?  That's OK, just make one out of a median.  And if you are in the far left lane and decide you need to get off the exit immediately, just plow your car across all the lanes.  It is crazy!  But that is just how they drive down here. 

Turn Signals:  These are so optional here … NO ONE uses them. Seriously!   If you need to change lanes or turn you just do it.  I cannot tell you the number of times I have realized I was the ONLY person around using my turn signals.

Turning in General:  Do you need to turn left but are in the far right lane?  No problem, just turn the way you want... No big deal.  But, expect the horns to start blowing!

Vendors:  People are always selling something in the middle of the busy streets (water, cookies, flowers, etc).  I tell ya... they are some brave souls. 

Parking Spaces:  Need a parking space and cannot find one?  Oh just make your own!  Whether that means blocking street traffic or blocking another car in... it doesn't matter.  Insanity! 

Traffic:  We have joked many times now... There is no more just "running out quick" to the store... Lots of people, lots of cars...means lots of time!

Most recently I was in the van with the kids and we just didn't seem to be moving much through the traffic lights.  Noah was fast asleep but Zoe was taking this all in and she made the remark "Mom, all these cars are really slowing us down."  Yes, Zoe, they are.  Pause.  Red light turns to green... and I hear Zoe say out loud to the car in front of us "Move it sister!"  Ah hem... (clearing my throat)... I am just not sure "where" she has heard that before.  Ha ha!  ; )  I had a good laugh! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.