Well, Zoe had her 3 week post-op appointment with her surgeon yesterday. I'm not sure if I communicated this or not but her lip/mouth/nose did come apart but not completely (and I was warned that this would probably occur due to her skin tissues being soooooo fragile at this point). Anyway... her doctor looked at her mouth really hard and the first words out of his mouth were "I am really happy." Wow! I said, "You are?" Because to me her mouth area doesn't look good at all to me (of course I'm not a plastic surgeon either). He explained to me that the part that didn't come apart is acting as a tension bond for her mouth which will help her later for the next surgery. Good news! Finally! What a relief! Her surgeon actually told me at the end of our visit,"You know, I am really happy with how her mouth looks. To be honest I really thought the whole thing was going to come apart. I have to say that I am surprised by the results we are looking at." And this is in no doubt to all the many prayers that have been said for our Zoe.
So, the plan is.... come back and see the surgeon in 6 weeks (12/2). If things stand the same or hopefully even look better... he wants to do her surgery on 12/22 (this year!) I was shocked! I was thinking not until next March or something. With her next surgery the surgeon is going to push her top gum line back a little (I thought this needed to be done initially but he did not). Now, he agrees with me and this will also help avoid any unnecessary pressure to her lip once repaired. Our friend's daughter had to have the same thing done by the same surgeon and she is absolutely beautiful. I know he'll do a good job.
In the mean time, I have to keep the exposed skin (which is her top gum line) covered in Vaseline to help keep moisture to the area. And honestly, the Vaseline also helps loosen the mucous/food etc. that also seeps through (usually through the night) to the parts that have come apart. Zoe is obviously super sensitive to the exposed area... she doesn't like anything to get near it. So, I am being extra gentle.
Her arm restraints are OFF! And I'm supposed to get her back on her normal routine... tub baths again... sleeping in her crib again... oh the joys of simple things in life. She is still refusing the bottle (I can't say that I blame her... I mean her mouth is somewhat apart and that's what the surgeon said... to just go with the flow and however she will eat/drink just do it). I am no longer syringe feeding her. Instead I am using these zip-n-squeeze bottles (http://www.zip-n-squeeze.com/ softsipp.html). Thanks to my friend Elizabeth who shared 2 with me (they are godsends at this point). I went ahead and ordered more because I foresee us using these for quite awhile). Also... they were designed by a nurse... so what can I say? Awesome! : )
I have to be honest and say that I am almost petrified for her to walk/crawl by herself. It is the whole fear of the fall again. I am continuing to stick very close to her as she begins to venture on her own slowly but surely. And my heart skips a beat when I anticipate a slip or fall. I find myself saying to her constantly "Be careful" and "Focus" and "Don't go too fast" (you have to laugh because you know she has no idea what I am saying to her).
By the way... so far public outings have gone fine. No one has said anything stupid, ignorant, or rude yet. She does get some long stares but not in a bad way.
I'm attaching a picture of our beautiful girl so you can see her. I took this yesterday in our backyard as she was climbing on my stomach.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.